Founded in 1913
Goodwill Industries, Inc. is one of the oldest providers of human services in Southeastern Ohio.
Zanesville had a terrible flood, which devastated the town and its people. The community response to the human need, which resulted from this disaster, was the formation of the Zanesville Welfare Organization. The State of Ohio chartered the organization as a non-profit corporation in June of 1914. The agency began operations under its first director, Miss Sarah Coats, at the corner of South and Fifth Street on October 10, 1914.
A foundation was established in Mr. Shinnick’s name upon his death in 1923 and Goodwill still receives an endowment from that trust. William Shinnick, from Mosaic Tile, and noted philanthropist S.A. Weller, from Weller Pottery, were both on the original Board of Trustees.
The Zanesville Welfare Organization became affiliated with Goodwill in 1927. Reverend Walter Nash, who had been trained at the Cincinnati Goodwill and came recommended by Dr. Edgar Helms, the founder of Goodwill Industries International, became the first executive director in November 1927. The first Goodwill plant was established in the Universalist Church at the corner of Zane and Underwood Streets. Goodwill opened its first store on Fifth Street, and later moved to 119 Main Street.
Goodwill grew and consolidated from 1929 to 1934. The agency purchased its first vehicle in 1924, a stake body Chevrolet truck. Prior to the purchase of the Chevrolet, collections were done with a mule and cart. Goodwill’s plant was renovated in 1935-1936 to improve operations.
The modern era for the Zanesville Welfare Organization and Goodwill Industries, Inc. began in 1943, when the agency purchased buildings at 108-110 Main Street. Work on the buildings was delayed until after World War II.
Goodwill continued to grow in the 1950s and 1960s. A cafeteria was added, and rehabilitation programs were initiated in 1966 under the leadership of Reverend David Boldt. At the time, Zanesville Goodwill operated one of the most comprehensive rehabilitation programs for a community of this size in the United States.
In the mid 1970s, financial problems caused a drastic reduction in services. Goodwill began to resolve these difficulties in 1979. The agency consolidated operations in the industrial contract building at the present location at 18 Beaumont Street. The offices and operations divisions began moving in August of 1979, and the plant store was opened in January 1980. The Zanesville Welfare Organizations Articles of Incorporation were amended in September 1979 to add Goodwill Industries, Inc. to the established name. Goodwill further became involved in janitorial contracts in the early 1980s.
By the early 1990s Goodwill Industries Inc. was providing services by way of retail programs to four of its 10 counties (Coshocton, Cambridge, Marietta, and Zanesville.) By the late 1990s, Goodwill had expanded its services to include Lancaster and New Lexington. In 1999 the plant store in Zanesville was relocated to 2134 Maple Avenue and teh 18 Beaumont Street location was completely renovated to ouse the corporate offices and an up-to-date training center.
In 2000 the first retail store in Wheeling, West Virginia was opened. In 2001, the second West Virginia retail store was opened in Moundsville. In 2002, Goodwill opened a small retail store in Martins Ferry, Ohio. In 2005, the growth continued with a new retail store in Pickerington, Ohio and New Martinsville, West Virginia. In 2008, Goodwill places a retail store in St. Clairsville, Ohio.
From our very beginning, Goodwill’s mission and corporation vision has never wavered. We have striven to be a friend and source of hope for those in need in southeastern Ohio and northwestern West Virginia. Quite simply, we transform people’s lives through training and productive work.